National PTA Reflections Program
The National PTA Reflections Program is an arts recognition and achievement program for students. The Reflections programs give students an opportunity to express themselves creatively and receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a pre-selected annual theme. The program also increases community awareness on the importance of the arts in education.
The 2015-2016 Reflections Program Theme is
“Let Your Imagination Fly”
Monday, November 13, 2015 Reflections entries due to San Diego Unified Council
December 2015 Council winners forwarded to Ninth District
February 2015 Council reception for all Council Reflections winners
March 2015 Ninth District reception for Reflections
May 4-7 201 State winners presented at State PTA Convention in Sacramento
June 30 – July 3, 2016 National winners presented at National PTA Convention in Orlando, FL
Get started in 6 easy steps:
Step 1 Register your school reflections program at www.pta.org/programs/artsineducation.cfm
Step 2 Organize and Plan your program:
If you are new to Reflections consider starting with one area of art such as just photography, or visual arts. Choose what will work best in your school.
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Customize your check list to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Consider these Volunteer Job Descriptions to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests.
Step 3 Promote your program
Announce your call for entries using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Consider these Tips for Promoting Reflections
- Distribute posters/flyers or create your own using the Reflections Visual Standards and logo.
- Promotional Tools:
Step 4 Organize submitted artwork for judging
First, check-in entries and review artwork for qualification. Organize entries by division and category, then assign them to a judge.
- Welcome judges with a copy of program rules and instruct them to complete their scorecards using this rubric.
- Ensure judges review the student’s artwork title and artist statement included on the student’s entry form, but do not reveal the student’s name.
- Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
Step 5 Celebrate!
- Start with the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Share the media advisory and press release with local media.
- Present the Certificate of Participation and other awards available at the PTA Store.
Step 6 Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
- Report Participation (visit California State PTA for a PTA Registration Form)
The search is on for the future National PTA Reflections theme.
One exceptional concept may be chosen to inspire thousands of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to create original works of art in dance, film, literature, music, photography and visual arts.
The Theme Search Contest Winner receives $100 and recognition at the Annual National PTA Convention.
If you have any questions, you can contact NiChelle Cannon VP of Leadership and Reflections Chair at email@example.com
Download the National PTA Reflections Program article here.
For more information on how you can be a Hero for Arts Education, please visit the California State PTA’s website.