I am just barely three months into my new role with PTA as the President for the SDUCPTA. Needless to day, I’ve been busy, we all have, you all have, but I do not do the work entirely on my own, it would be impossible to, besides, somebody got to do the laundry at home right?
The SDUCPTA held our first General Meeting on September 28, thank you to the Unit Presidents that were able to attend. Thank you to California State Speaker of the Assembly, Toni G. Atkins and Superintendent Cindy Marten for sharing a few words about whats going on at the State and School District. A number of PTA Units hosted their back-to-school events throughout September and into October and are turning in their Annual Financial Reports, Approved Budgets, and year-end Audits. While I am encouraged for those reporting in, we still have a number of Units that need to submit these financial reports.
For this month, I want to take the time to highlight some of the opportunities on how you can get involved with the San Diego Unified Council of PTAs. If you are interested in getting involved or know someone that wants to get involved, be sure to share this information with them. We have a number of activities and projects that have been ongoing or just getting started.
Open Board Positions: We have a few opportunities to be involved at the Executive Board level of Council
- Vice President of Programs – Oversee the various program committees such as Reflections, Honorary Service Award, Founder’s Day
- Vice President of Communications – Mainly oversee the communications going out to the community and our local PTA leaders as well as oversee maintenance of the website and social media platforms
- Financial Secretary – inquire with the council with details
Committees: We are in need of volunteers to serve on the committee or can help with the activity
- Reflections – Entries are due November 13, 2015 from PTA Units for judging at the Council level and beyond. We’ll need volunteers to help with judging of the artwork submitted as well as when we host a Reflections Gala honoring those that have participated and have been awarded recognition. Contact NiChelle Cannon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parking Lot Fundraiser – SDUCPTA will be holding a fundraiser event using the parking lot at the Ballard Center in Old Town during the Dia de los Muertos happening in Old Town on November 1 and November 2. on either day. On Sunday, Nov 1 we need volunteers to begin a shift starting at 12 noon until 8 pm and on Monday, Nov. 2, the actual Día de los Muertos, shifts begin at 4 pm. Contact Bea Fernandez, Parking Lot Fundraiser Chair, at email@example.com or (619) 948-4515 (cell)
- Climate Action Committee – Now that the resolution has passed, we are forming a Climate Action Committee to implement the six action steps called for in the resolution. If you want to learn more or get involved, contact Laura Schumacher at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is always something going at the Council but I by no means am asking that you take time away from your community but I want to encourage anyone that is interested to explore these opportunities. We will have other opportunities for involvement throughout the year. But if anything catches your eye, feel free to contact me.
All the best!
Celeste L. Bobryk-Ozaki
San Diego Unified Council of PTAs